Star Wars - Brian Wood's story takes place after New Hope and Empire as Vader hunts down Skywalker to redeem himself for the Death Star's destruction, Leia struggles with losing Alderaan and finding a new home for the rebels
Sword of Sorcery (just ended with issue #8) - Great series that lives up to it's namesake, stars Amethyst and her diverse Gemworld kingdom; post-apocalyptic Beowulf mini-series is pretty good too
Prophet (Vertigo label) - Really out-there sci-fi that's truly imaginative, unrelenting and also unsettling at times
Lot's of ideas to plunder for games...
Flash Gordon - Classic Flash in the 1930s with a hefty coat of the 1980 film's flamboyance
Godzilla: Half Century War - Tracking the big guy through the jungles of South East Asia. Art by James Stoke is...I don't even...just look (you need to right-click these to really appreciate):
The High Ways - John Byrne hard sci-fi adventure about a cargo crew. I'm amazed at how hefty these issues are--lots of story packed in!
Mars Attacks - After being repelled by Earthlings 40 years ago, the Martians are back. ACK! ACK!
The Activity - Excellent, modern-day, action comic about an black ops military unit, illustrated by our own local-boy-done-good, Mitch Gerads
Hawkeye - Seriously one of the best-written comics right now. Fantastic art as well.
FF - Second string Fantastic Four babysits the planet while Reed, Ben, Sue and Johnny leave for a quick "four minute" trip. Lots of charm and just plain fun--love the Mike Allred artwork!
Fearless Defenders - Good start with great character writing for Marvel's first, official all-female super team. Wonderfully inventive covers too!
And anything with a cover by Francesco Francavilla...
I love single issue comics, there's just nothing like holding one in your hands--and I especially like supporting writers/artists who's work I enjoy during the run--but it does get expensive. Plus, friends want to borrow, and I'm sorry, but I'm NOT giving out my single issues! So trades are a great alternative...
- Adventure Time (Boom Studios) Too hard to find all the singles, but I'll pick up the trade
- Avengers Asssemble (Marvel) I have most of these, but stopped until the trade comes out
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) - I'm a sucker for talking racoons so I've got the first single, but I'll wait for the trade
- Jupiter's Legacy (Image) - Mark Millar and Frank Quitely team up to write about second gen supers living in their parent's shadow, have the first single and now waiting for trade
- Nova (Marvel) - Looks like good fun with a GotG tie-in, but again, waiting on the trade
- Hawkeye (Marvel) Have first vol. will likely pick up a few more singles
- Mars Attacks (IDW) Have first vol., just dropped single issues to order vol. 2
- Prophet (Image) I've recently been unable to get the last 3 issues due to shortages so I'll now have to switch to trades
- Saga (Image) Have first vol., I'm waiting on vol. 2, only first single collected
- Warlord of Mars (Dynamite) I have up through the first two dozen or so issues, just dropped to switch to trades
- Young Avengers (Marvel) - A new Avengers team for modern times, great stuff, but again--it's almost always sold out, so gotta get the trade
So what are you reading in print these days?