Friday, November 12, 2010

Is "The Lost Future" SyFy's Foray into Gamma World?


Either I don't watch enough TV (that hardly seems possible!) or this is bound to be so bad that they didn't bother promoting it. But the SyFy Channel is premiering a new movie-of-the-week that skirts very close to Gamma World territory. It stars Sean Bean (of LotR fame) as a primitive tribesman living among civilization's ruins. Check out the trailer and this blurb from IMDB:
A group of post-apocalyptic survivors, struggle to survive in a world where jungles and forests and primeval wetlands and deserts have obliterated civilization. They staunchly face genetically mutating beasts and mysterious diseases in an attempt to re-establish the human race as masters of Earth.
SyFy's webpage is even more sparse on details, but I did spot a mention that the mutations are caused by a disease, rather than nuclear radiation or the happy-black-hole-maker.

Here's another preview (which looks hokey/generic):


Ah man, I'm sorry you had to see that. (And I doubly apologize for SyFy's atrociously obnoxious vid player). But the trailer looks slightly more GW-like. Might be worth checking out for some B-movie fun. For me, it's going to have to wait until it's replayed since I'll be seeing Skyline Saturday!

12 comments:

  1. Ooh. Yeah, the second trailer managed to deflate what nascent enthusiasm I got from the first one.

    Your beastmen shouldn't look like they're swimming through the air, folks. At least unless that's their specific mutation anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, SyFy seems to excel at killing their promos with actual footage! Also, that beast-guy looks like a dude in Halloween make-up.

    Still, Sean Bean and the giant mutant ape looked promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, giant mutant ape? I thought it was some sort of giant mutant bear or sloth. Or did I miss the mutant ape? Arrgh. I'm not going to watch that trailer twice to find out. I appreciate you sharing this stuff--I don't miss cable very much after seeing this sort of thing. Though Sean Bean is cool. Nah. I'd rather play a game of Gamma World than watch this thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll watch and enjoy it as what it is a modern B-movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having only seen the promo on SyFy, I have to say that one makes this look better budgeted and more entertaining than the usual SyFy fair. But then, they've suckered me before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nether, I think you're right it might be a giant, mutated sloth (a fast one at that!)

    @Eli and Trey: Exactly! and [facepalm] yes....

    ReplyDelete
  7. SyFy is well renowned for their sub-B-movie quality movies. With the saturation of countless dreadful movies, there is bound to be some halfway decent movies that got under their radar.

    By the way, that large beast is not a mutant ape, but a real prehistoric giant sloth called a Ground Sloth. They are a lot bigger then bears - growing as high as 18 feet. They have big bear-like claws, and have thick callus-hard skin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this isnt a dud ,
    I love gamma world !

    all hail the spear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't get me wrong I very much hope this will be good! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll probably watch it. I think it will be entertaining one way or the other. If it's good, great! If it's bad it will still be entertaining in that special way bad films can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caught it with the wife and kids. About 15-20 minutes in we all agreed to keep watching it no matter what... everyone got angry at me because I kept falling asleep and as such was escaping the god awful film a few minutes at a time. It was bad not even humorously bad, just bad.

    This was no "I Was A Teenage Caveman"

    ReplyDelete