Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Future...From Another Time....

Have you ever visited Paleofuture.com? You should. It's a gold mine of peculiarities and artifacts from "a future that never was," meaning what we used to think the future would be like: flying cars, jet packs, household robots. Okay that last one is kinda true, but you get the picture.

Anyway, a ways back I was on the site and saw this:

Click on images to enlarge
I had this book as a kid and LOVED it. It's a treasure trove of content and pictures that foretold what the future would be like in the year 2000 and beyond. It was published in 1982. In any case, I was able to snag a copy of it on ebay soon after. I was delighted to relive a classic from my youth, but even better were the wacky predictions, covering topics like space colonies; robots in everyday life; the future of education, farmng, and communications--and let's not forget flying cars!

The book is peppered with images of airships, Torus wheel colonies, and other wonderfulness. There's just too much gold in there NOT to post, so I'll be dropping a few scans in now and then. I can't promise the best scan quality (it's basically newspaper quality paper--almost 30-year-old newspaper). The cover is color but the interior imagery is in glorious b/w. Here's a taste of The Kids Whole Future Catalog by Paula Taylor:

More to come....

1 comment: