Monday, December 14, 2015

TRAILER: Phasers set to kill the Enterprise for Star Trek Beyond

There won't be a shortage of big space opera franchises next year--the third Star Trek film with the rebooted cast is on it's way with Star Trek Beyond.

The franchise is taking a new direction after receiving mixed reviews from its predecessor, Star Trek Into Darkness. Justin Lin, the mind behind several of the Fast and Furious films has taken over the director's chair from J.J. Abrams. You'll notice the trailer is decidedly bereft of lens flares!

I know some folks aren't fans of the reboots. Personally, I loved the 2009 film, but was lukewarm to the follow-up. This one has something the others didn't though--a man on the inside. Simon Pegg (Scotty) was passionate about wanting the third film to succeed so he signed on as a writer! Pegg is famously a nerd himself (and a bigger fan of Trek than J.J. ever was) so this bodes well.

I think this looks like a solid entry into the series, highlighting a lot of the action the previous two films have become known for. The storyline is supposedly focusing in an all-new, boldly-going direction, which is what Trek--at its heart--is all about.

The studio believes so much in this next one that this summer it collared the cast for a fourth.My wife will be especially pleased to see the return of our own, two-person meme: "Karl Urban's Cranky Face."

One thing that did rub me the wrong way--things don't look good for the Enterprise herself. How many times are we going to that well?


Well, anyway--fingers tightly crossed for this one! Here's the trailer:



Star Trek Beyond opens July 22, 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think it looks great, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm grateful that Star Trek has been around this long (I remember the 20th and 25th anniversaries well). I firmly believe that these movies are Star Trek for a new generation, and that the universe(s) Gene Roddenberry created has plenty of room for all kinds of Star Trek. I may well live to see Star Trek's 100th anniversary, and I'll tell my great-grandchildren how a TV show made warp drive a reality.

    ReplyDelete