Many of my readers have Google accounts--converting your account or signing up for G+ account is easy. There's so many Communities (big "C" as that's Google's name for groups with like-minded folks) out there for gamers of all stripes.
Let this settle in for a bit: Just typing in "Dungeons and Dragons" is going to give you dozens if not hundreds of results for Communities to join.
Here now are many of the groups to which I belong on G+. If there was an official tagline for the group, I pulled it off their page. Some had nothing. I bolded at least one in each category that I think are good for getting you started.
GENERAL RPG RESOURCES AND OLD SCHOOL GAMING
- G+ RPG Hangouts Where people can go to game via hangout.
- G+ Tabletop Roleplaying Games All Gamers Welcome
- NEW: That's Gameable! Find and share inspiration --news stories, images, etc. -- you've stumbled across that can be used for roleplaying games, creative writing and more. All genres welcome!
- g+ Monster Manual Post or link to your D&D monsters here
- Game Master Tips Let's help each other improve our craft
- Gaming on the Cheap Can you spare a cup of dice? Saving yor table top gaming dollars.
- The Library of Gaming Maps Gaming maps by Gamers, for Gamers
- MEGADUNGEON Map, stock, share...
- Obsidian Portal Obsidian Portal is the award winning, free to use, online platform for running and organizing your table top role-playing games.
- Order of the D30 "One die to rule them all!"
- OSR Old School Roleplaying
- Pen & Paper RPG Bloggers For people who blog about pen & paper roleplaying games
- R20 Player Network Find Comrades for Roll20.net
- Roleplaying Games The G+ Role Playing Community
- RPG Session Prep All about getting your game prepped...
- RPG Tables & Charts What it says on the can: Tables and Charts for Role-Playing Games
- TableTop Fan Community Let's play more games! (Fans of the popular TableTop YouTube series
- Vintage Role Playing Games
RPGs FOR KIDS
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS LATEST EDITION
FANTASY & HORROR
- Adventure Fantasy Game 5MORE × the OSR Fun
- Barbarians of Lemuria A community for celebrating the Barbarians of Lemuria RPG and all things sword & sorcery
- B/X D&D Discussion of Basic and Expert Dungeons & Dragons
- Call of Cthulhu RPG
- Castles and Crusades Society For players of the tabletop RPG "Castles and Crusades" published by Troll Lord Games
- Dungeons & Dragons (Unofficial)
- Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition TSR's AD&D 2nd Edition Group
- DCCRPG Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games
- Hackmaster 5th Edition The *best* roleplaying game ever made!
- Labyrinth Lord It's always 1981 here
- Original Dungeons & Dragons OD&D Fan Community
- Pathfinder An unofficial gathering of players and GMs. Administered by Loki
- RoleMaster RMFRP/RMS A community for fans and players of the RoleMaster versions known as RMFRP and RMSS.
- Swords & Wizardry Discussion
- 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons
- Sci Fi OSR Gamma World, Stars Without Number, Terminal Space and MUCH MORE!
- High Space DEV SPHERE for Savage Worlds - Fast, Furious Fun...in the Far Future!
- Mindjammer Transhuman Adventures in the Second Age of Space
- Shadowrun Tabletop RPG For discussion and meeting new players out there
- Star Frontiers Now and Forever!
- Stars Without Number Discuss Sine Nomine RPGs/Stars Without Number!
- Star Wars (see below)
- Traveller the RPG
- X-plorers Old-school science fiction gaming!
POST-APOCALYPSE AND SCIENCE FANTASY
- Gamma Crawl Classics
- Gamma World Rules
- Metamorphosis Alpha Predecessor to Gamma World
- Mutant Future Science-Fantasy Condensed
- Spelljammer A gathering place for Spelljammer players and GMs, no matter what system they use!
- The Strange
- Warriors of the Red Planet Sword & Planet Adventures on the World of Mars, and Beyond
GAME CREATION & PUBLISHING
- Gamecraft Tabletop roleplaying, board, miniatures, and card game creation and refinements.
- Indie RPG Publishers
- Map-Making in Games
- One Page Dungeon A yearly contest of one page role-playing adventures.
- RPG ZINES diy micro-press rpg publishing
- RPG Artists Group for game illustrators (as well as finding some to work on your game)
- RPG Design Network
- Pocketmod Games 8 tiny pages of gaming goodness
- World Building Creating Fictional Worlds
- 25 Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials Guide Create stunning maps using any graphics software
I'm sure some of my "plusser" pals out there in Internet-landia can help fill in the comments with any that I've missed. (Note: please do comment from your computer, as posting from mobile devices gives a different address or some cases, doesn't work at all.)
Once you've joined Google Plus you should:
- Fill out your profile and make it obvious that you're a gamer. Read THIS POST by Adam Muszkiewicz immediately.
- Join some gamer Communities. Some may need to approve you to join, so make sure your profile is filled out first.
- Turn OFF your 1+ notices and turn ON notifications for the Communities you've joined.
- Take some time exploring posts, Get caught up on what the community is talking about--but also what ground they've covered. Post questions if you're in need of help.
- Games are done via Google Hangout, so you'll need a good set of headphones and a webcam (most are built right into laptops nowadays).
- See that "Recommended for you" link at the top of your Google Plus feed? CLICK IT. There's more Communities to join!
Join G+ and get gaming!
No longer do you need to scour the web looking for a game here or there. Now you can join Google Plus--and if there's not one already you can make one yourself!
Updated: November 4, 2015